Welcome to 60k House
60k House has been created to show the process of designing and building a modest one-bedroom home in Tasmania, Australia. As the name suggests I am trying to design and build a comfortable home for close to $60,000 AUD. This is the construction budget for the building itself and does not include fees for consultants and approvals, or services such as the driveway, power connection, septic system or water tanks, etc. (I’ll discuss budgets in more detail in a later post). I don’t know if it’s possible to build a house for this amount but will give it a go and share the results along the way. 60k House will discuss decisions relating to the design and the selection of materials and services, from inception through to construction. I will be open and honest when discussing all aspects of the project, including the budget. I want 60k House to be accessible so I won’t use ‘archiwank’ (architectural jargon), instead only simple, easy-to-understand language.
Why publish a blog?
There are a few reasons why I have chosen to create 60k House:
1. To keep friends who are interested in the project informed
2. To educate people about the design and approvals process
3. To demonstrate that good design need not cost the earth
It’s hard enough to keep track of a project even if you live nearby, let alone on the other side of the world. With friends both near and far this seems the easiest way to let them all know what’s happening. 60k House will allow anyone who is interested, wherever you may be, to follow the progress.
Having shared some previous projects via social media (Facebook) and chatting with friends it became apparent that few people understand the process of designing and building. I hope 60k House will clearly explain the activity of design, the numerous approvals and consultants required, and the action of building.
I also want to show that ‘good’ design – comfortable, efficient, and environmentally friendly – does not need to be expensive, either in terms of money or resources.
A brief explanation of the categories:
- About – background information about the project, the site, the client and the finance
- Design – will show the development of the design and also discuss the various approvals required and consultants engaged
- Construction – consist of plenty of photos as the house comes out of the ground and goes up, with descriptions explaining the construction methods
- Books – a selection of easy-to-read books that have provided inspiration
- Gallery – here you will find a collection of all the photos posted on the blog
This is my first experience writing a blog so please excuse any teething problems. I aim to post at least a couple of entries each week to show how the design developed and how the construction is proceeding. Both the design and construction will be revealed as the project progresses. There will also be guest contributors discussing various topics. Please contact us if you have any feedback or comments, or would like to share any relevant topics. Check in regularly for updates and enjoy watching 60K House evolve.